Saturday, November 21, 2009

Other Projects

Occasionally, and not very often, since I don't consider myself a professional artist, have no schooling in graphic design, and by no means have a side business as an artist, someone will ask me to create a piece for them as a gift for either themselves or a loved one, and even more infrequently, someone where I work will want to utilize my talents for a greeting card or newsletter or other attention-getter.

These last few years, I've even been asked to do some wall art. My friend Sandra asked me to create three different pieces for her kids' bedrooms, and once my brother Gary got wind of the first one, he asked me to do up his own twins' nursery before they were born. These pieces are fun and always a challenge, since I don't paint unless asked to, so I'm always having to relearn how each and every time I do it.

Most recently, between jobs and pouring all my artistic energy into my webcomic, I was asked by my friend Wes to look into a project happening at his IT company that was looking for more traditional illustrations for an upcoming presentation. There I met Dave, who really plugged into my art style, and I've been producing illustrations/renderings for him and his company, particularly Mini Blue, the student laptop store they just opened, for the last two months. Exciting stuff. You can see much of the art at my deviant art page, and then you can swing on over to my myspace page and check out some photos from the grand opening itself!

With having met all the Mini Blue deadlines, I can now return to Forsaken Stars. You can look forward to more promotional art, including wallpapers, and sneak peeks at the second half of issue two!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Ali, for her patience and her steady hand. She actually took up a brush and helped me finish this last piece, filling in edges, unpainted blocks and even a few tree trunks in those last hours. Ali, you're my Sun and Stars.
Also I should apologize for falling asleep during the midnight showing of Twilight later that night--I did my best to stay up for the werewolves, and got a kick out of seeing Michael Sheen turn up as Leader of the Volturi, after having been Lucian, leader of the Lychans in the Underworld films. It was a cool movie, and we thank Liz and Grant for inviting us AND treating us like VIPs! They is Awesomesauce. Liz, you name it and I'll draw it. Grant, you need fan art, let me know, it will be yours.

That's all for now, gang! Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment